Spring Smoothie Experiment: Tips & Tricks May 6, 2014
Are you still on the fence about joining us for our 14-day green smoothie experiment beginning May 10th? Does the thought of a green smoothie make you grimace? Not even sure where to start?
Now don’t freak out! This isn’t a diet. This isn’t a cleanse or a detox program. This is an experiment. How will your energy, digestive health, blood quality, skin, and mental health change with the simple addition of a vibrant, vitamin & nutrient-rich smoothie on the daily?
If you can boil water, you can do this. If you can flip a switch on a blender, you can do this. Two simple rules to guide you for this 14-day experiment:
1) Start the day with a nourishing & detoxifying hot tonic (we’ll give you a few ideas in our next blog post).
2) Drink one green smoothie a day for 14 days in addition to or in place of a meal.
For the last few weeks, we’ve been experimenting with various green smoothie recipes. At first, we relied mostly on recipes from various cookbooks and websites. As we got more comfortable with the process, we were able to dream up our own delicious recipes. We’ll be sharing all of this information with you, our lovely participants, throughout the 14-day experiment to help you along. Be sure to subscribe to our blog no later than May 9th to receive recipes, resources and other useful information throughout the experiment.
Need more motivation? Here’s a great place to start: www.simplegreensmoothies.com. Jen and Jadah are the masterminds behind this comprehensive green smoothie website. We have been relying heavily on their tips and recipes, and we think you will love them. They offer a free 30-day green smoothie challenge four times a year as well as a 21-day whole foods cleanse, both of which we highly recommend. But first things first…
Are you in? YES!! Then let’s get you started.
Tips & Tricks
1) If you want to use ingredients that you have on-hand without following a recipe, use this simple formula:
2 cups of liquid + 2 cups of greens + 3 cups of fruit/veggies
(makes 2 servings)
2) If you don’t have a high-powered blender such as a VitaMix or a Blendtec, blend your liquid and leafy greens first before adding the rest of your fruit/veggies. This will ensure a smoother overall consistency.
3) Don’t forget to incorporate the principles of Chinese medicine into your recipes and techniques during this experiment:
- A simple hot tonic first thing in the morning (don’t worry, we’ll coach you through this part).
- Drink your smoothie at room temperature, not cold.
- Balance out the thermodynamics of your smoothie (check out our previous blog post for a list of fruits/veggies/spices that warm your digestive fire).
4) If you’re going to substitute a meal with a green smoothie, be sure to add 1-2 tablespoons per serving of a protein boost to avoid feeling hungry an hour later. Some recommendations: peanut/almond butter, coconut, oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, cacao, or any type of nut.
5) Prep your smoothie ingredients the night before so that you can wake and blend without having to peel and chop.
If you live in the Daytona area and you want someone else to make your green smoothie for a change during the 14-day challenge, look no further than The Kale Cafe and Juice Bar. Omar and Camille will take care of you.
Still not sure you want to join us? Here’s another tried and true recipe to whet your green smoothie appetite. We wanted capture the thick, sweet, frothy greenness on camera, but they were too good and we weren’t quick enough:
Coconut Dream (Serves 2)
*We’ve included the thermodynamics below so you can see how we balance our ingredients to protect and nourish our digestive fire.
2 cups fresh kale, stems removed (warm property)*
2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened (warm property)
1 cup mango (cool property)
1 cup pineapple (warm property)
1 banana (cold property)
2 TBS coconut flakes, unsweetened (warm property)
For more information about our upcoming 14-day Green Smoothie Experiment, check out our other recent blog post. To participate with us for free, simply subscribe to our blog no later than May 9th.0